- Choose low fat sources of protein at each meal 20-30g.
- Protein does not just come from meat… have a variety of lean choices both plant and animal.
- Fat is essential because it helps with hormone production, thermoregulation, and contains essential fatty acids for brain function.
- Fat intake less than 20% of calories affects the production of the testosterone, causes female menstrual disturbances, bone loss, and energy deficiency.
- Too much of certain fats, such as saturated fats and trans fats, have been linked to certain diseases and disorders and also with decrease mental function.
- You need carbs… minimal amount of carbohydrates needed for moderate brain function each day is 135 grams.
- Complex carbs are the fuel your body uses for high intensity exercise (sprinting, strength and resistance activities).
- Complex carbs use less oxygen per unit of energy, so your perceived exertion level is decreased and you can go farther or faster with less oxygen with a diet rich in complex carbs.